After playing a few games of Empire in Flames/Mordheim I realized that the buildings and scenery I made for WFB wasn’t as interactive as I wanted. So I started creating a few buildings that models could actually move around and fight inside of. The first one I started working on was a dilapidated Bretonnian inn that was perhaps the target of an orc raid. I used ½” Styrofoam pieces for the majority of the structure as well as the base that the building stands on. I got them for free from work but they can be a little warped so in the future I may shell out some cash for actual modeling foam. After the basic walls were erected I cut up a lot of cereal boxes and other bits of cardstock for planks, roofing tiles and trim. For the balcony I used some balsa wood that I had purchased for fences. I took chunks out here and there with a razor blade to give it a distressed and worn look. The final step in construction is always my favorite. Going through my bits box and finding the little things that really bring a piece of terrain to life. Old horse heads to act as statues, shields, a treasure chest, an over turned table with a book laying nearby. The final step was to paint large portions of the house with watered down PVA (Elmers glue) and chuck handfuls of dirt from the yard on to give it some texture. Then I primed the whole thing black and waited for that to dry before touching up any places that the spray missed with a watered down black paint. The paint job was quick and dirty. After base coating the entire building I began working on the wooden balcony and trim. I used an old, course brush lightly dipped in paint to quickly give the beams and planking some wood grain. Lots of dry brushing helped to give some definition to the rest of the house. For the final touches I flocked the base, added some ivy/moss to one side with clump foliage. I also printed out a few Mordheim posters I found online for added character and glued them on one side with PVA. After spending a month in Prague last fall I really fell in love with bohemian livery so I chose a few of my favorite coats of arms to decorate the front.
I still need to make a few ladders so models can access the top floors but I’m pleased with how it turned out. I have also started working on a tower, a well, a ruined dwarf smithy and a spooky graveyard. I hope to have pictures of some of those up soon!